Community Emergency Response Team (CERT)
POQUOSON CERT: CITIZENS HELPING NEIGHBORS
What is CERT?
Community Emergency Response Teams (CERT) are community-based volunteers trained in disaster preparedness and emergency response. In the event of a major disaster emergency services can be overwhelmed, leaving us to manage on our own. Would you be able to take care of your family, your neighbors and help your community?
What do CERT members do?
When a disaster occurs and responders are not immediately available Poquoson CERT can assist by:
• Conducting an initial size-up in their homes, workplaces, or neighborhoods
• Reducing immediate dangers by turning off utilities, suppressing small fires, evacuating the area, and helping others
• Conducting triage and treating life-threatening conditions
• Working with CERT members and volunteers to establish a command post, staging area, shelters and medical and treatment areas.
• Collecting damage information and developing a plan of operation based on life-saving priorities and available resources.
• Establishing and maintaining communication with responders.
People who go through CERT training have a better understanding of the potential threats to their home, workplace and community and can take the right steps to lessen the effects of these hazards on themselves, their homes or workplace. The CERT Basic Course is provided to Poquoson residents 18 years and older. The training is provided by members of the Poquoson Fire and Rescue and Police Departments and certified Poquoson CERT member instructors. Classes take place once per week for nine weeks and are usually held at Fire Station 1, Training Room, 1035 Poquoson Avenue.
CERT Basic Course Units:
• Introduction and Disaster Preparedness
• Fire Safety and Utility Controls
• Disaster Medical Operations - Part 1
• Disaster Medical Operations - Part 2
• Light Search and Rescue Operations
• CERT Organization
• Table Top Exercise
• Disaster Psychology
• Terrorism and CERT
• Disaster Simulation Exercise
And CERT Training is FREE!
Why should I join CERT?
Your community needs you. CERT is a positive and realistic approach to emergency and disaster response training. Educate yourself, your family and your neighbors about preparing for emergencies. Help yourself and your neighbors in times of disaster. Strengthen your relationship with your community.
WE CAN’T PREDICT THE NEXT EMERGENCY IN POQUOSON BUT WE CAN PREPARE FOR IT.